Project Manager, Office for Interfaith & Community Alliances, Islamic Society of North America
The Project Manager helps to foster the overall life and mission of the organization by managing the day-to-day operations of the office and ensuring coordination of structures and resources to meet the mission of the Office for Interfaith and Community Alliances. The role affords the opportunity to work alongside the IOICA Director to actively develop strategy for the national Muslim-American community, specifically with regards to policy and civic engagement. The position primarily encompasses project management, strategic planning, and nonprofit operations work. The Project Manager will work out of our Capitol Hill Office here in Washington, DC. Some domestic travel may also be required. This is a mid-career position that includes a highly competitive annual salary and health care benefits.
About IOICA: ISNA’s Office for Interfaith and Community Alliances was formed in 2006 with the intention of building bridges with other faith communities and advancing Islamic values in federal policy spaces. Since its founding over a decade ago, operations have expanded to include civic education, policy advocacy, and interfaith and intrafaith peace building. Inspired by the Islamic principles of equity and justice, IOICA’s policy work is primarily focused on domestic policy issues, with an emphasis on promoting economic justice, healthcare, and dignity for all. IOICA’s economic justice policy portfolio encompasses issues related to wealth inequality–taxes, housing, and wages. IOICA’s health care policy portfolio focuses on health care, gun violence prevention, and climate change. Additional issue areas that the office works on are likely to be added to the overall portfolio. ISNA is the oldest broad-based Muslim-American organization in North America.
Position Title: Project Manager
Reports to: Director, ISNA Office for Interfaith and Community Alliances
Location: Capitol Hill, Washington, D.C.
Status: Permanent, Full-Time
Start Date: December 2018
Compensation: Highly competitive annual salary + health benefits
Level: This is a mid-career position
- Works with IOICA Director to create and facilitate the strategic planning process and track office personnel success towards these goals using quantitative and qualitative metrics
- Operationalizes IOICA goals and manages work plans for IOICA Director and staff
- Manages and fine-tunes IOICA’s forthcoming Project Management System
- Co-creates IOICA annual budget with IOICA Director and tracks expenses
- Co-develops annual IOICA development strategy alongside IOICA Director, and manages all development efforts, including event management and grant applications
- Develops and facilitates onboarding process for IOICA staff
- Assists IOICA Director with office hiring/interview processes
- Coordinates staff development and training
- Manages portions of IOICA communications, including meeting, conference, and travel logistics
- Manages IOICA administrative work, including IOICA office equipment, office expenses, guest reception, and other general office upkeep
- Serves as primary IOICA liaison for operations-related communications with ISNA HQ in Indiana
- Occasional domestic travel will be required
- Bachelor’s degree preferred, but not required. Master’s degree in public or business administration or nonprofit management preferred, but not required. Equivalent professional development experiences will be counted as qualification
- Certificate in nonprofit management, project management, and/or project monitoring and evaluation preferred, but not required
- At least 5 years of progressive professional experience in nonprofit or corporate spaces
- Experience in detail-oriented positions that required a high level of organizational skills; ability to meet deadlines and manage multiple projects in multiple domains (Org Strategy, Finance, HR)
- Confidence and interest in creating new systems, especially related to project workflow
- Experience developing and managing an office budget.
- Comfortable facilitating challenging conversations with staff and partners, and managing conflicting interests
- An excellent and compassionate listener as well as oral and written communicator
- Demonstrated skills in relationship building, detail-orientation, independence, motivating others, perseverance, organizational strategy, and collaboration
- Familiarity with Islam, the Muslim-American community, and faith-based advocacy a plus
- High emotional quotient, with a particularly strong ability to empathize and appreciation for humor
- Passionate about creating new organizational and project management systems and tracking progress
- Thrives from balancing multiple projects at the same time
- Interest in social justice and/or interfaith work
- Believes in the efficacy and fulfillment of teamwork
To help build and maintain a diverse team, IOICA actively seeks candidates from a wide variety of backgrounds. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, age, ancestry, disability, use of a guide or support animal, veteran status, or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
Application Process/Deadline: Interviews begin November 15, 2018. Please email your resume, a letter of interest, and a 3-5 page writing sample to jobs@ISNA.net, with the email subject line: IOICA Project Manager Application (First Name, Last Name). Applications will be considered on a rolling basis.